Commemorating a life is an extremely personal and important event. With Basham Funeral Care, your family will always have the freedom to make the choices that work best for you. There is no “standard” burial arrangement, and our caring and experienced staff will help you create the most meaningful service for your family member or friend. They will help you make decisions regarding the type and location of service or visitation you have, casket selection, veteran honors, eulogy, an after-service gathering, and more. Basham Funeral Care will take care of every detail for you.
Two Types of Services
A funeral service is a service with the body present in a casket. A memorial service is a service without the body present. The cremated remains may or may not be present in an urn or the burial of the casket may have taken place prior to the memorial service.
A funeral service takes place before the burial and your friend or family member will be present in a casket. Typically, family and friends will also attend a viewing/ visitation or wake, as it is sometimes called, the evening before or the day of the service.
Following the service, the casket will be brought to the final resting place in one of our hearses, where prayers or final words may be offered during the committal service by the minister, celebrant, or family and friends.
The funeral service may be held at almost any location your family chooses. Some of the most frequently chosen locations include:
- Any of the four chapels at Basham Funeral Care, Basham-Hopson Funeral Care, or Basham-Lamont Funeral Care
- Your family’s place of worship
- Graveside (We will direct the service as well as provide music and a sound system for your minister or celebrant.)
- Local park
- Any indoor or outdoor auditorium, fraternal lodge, or country club
A memorial service is a service without the body present. When using traditional burial, the casket will have been interred prior to the memorial service. If you choose cremation, your loved one’s cremated remains may or may not be present in an urn at the memorial service.
Cemeteries served by Basham Funeral Care:
- Greenlawn Cemetery
- Greenlawn Southwest Cemetery
- Hillcrest Memorial Park
- Union Cemetery
- Arvin Cemetery
- Wasco Cemetery
- Westside (Taft) Cemetery District
- Bakersfield National Cemetery
- San Joaquin National Cemetery
- Los Angeles National Cemetery
- Riverside National
- Shafter Cemetery
A family who prefers to use burial will make choices involving:
- Services at church or other public assembly area, at graveside, or in our chapel
- Casket selection
- Viewing (Sometimes called the visitation or wake)
- Honor Guard
- A Gathering after the service
Please remember your family will always have the freedom to make the choice that best meets their needs.